Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Monday, Monday

Today was kind of like that Mamma & Papa's Song, or even the Bangles. While Monday morning it not the beginning of my workweek, I do get off of work at 7am. It was overcast, a chilled wind blew off of the lake and with the smell of rain in the air their was the constant threat of a downpour. It felt like a day that should be experienced in bed 3 feed deep under comforters.

However 7 kids begin to think the sofa was some sort of launching pad. A robotic launching pad for cannon balls, I mean 7 kids, as a nearby Lego village needed completed destruction.
Soooo I knew I had to get moving. A Lego CityImage via Wikipedia







I didn't think my mood could take too many melt downs and brick walls so I thought we would go a little light on the subject matter. So after circle time, I thought we would focus on spring. Why? Because I wish it was here already! I didn't want to venture out of the house so we took advantage of our many window views, since we are on the 2nd floor. Children to various spots in different windows and began to draw what they thought were signs of spring. This was a nice quiet activity, maybe a couple more zzzz's for mom. But wait, what is in those buds? and where do they come from? Questions began to flow. Out came the botany books, the x-acto knife, magnifying glasses, and in came a few branches, pods, pine cones, and acorns. Before it was all said and done, we had disccested seeds and beans, planted sunflowers, tomatoes, and sprouts. We munched on a cake that we decorated to look like a garden. (I'll share pics later.)

All this flower activity lead to a discussion on the earth's rotation, and what is the weather like in Australia. What happened to a light load!

Though I started Monday morning with one idea my title as a Homeschool Parent lead me down another. This is part of the sweet joys of learning in freedom. While I had no frowny faces because someone still couldn't remember their fact families and another didn't want to complete the last two stanzas of that dreaded poem, we did complete fractions, and spelling, worked on vocabulary, and generally had a good day all without kids and mommy even knowing what was happening.





No comments:

Post a Comment